Sunday, June 22, 2014

Routine

     It's amazing how fast you get into a routine in a new place.  The same thing happened when I went on my study abroad to Jerusalem.  Everything is so new and crazy at first, all the cultural differences seem totally bizarre, then one day you wake up and it's just your life.  Everyday, while still exciting, feels very natural.       And what you used to find difficult or be surprised by becomes easy.  I've only been here a month and a half and life here is already completely normal.  Before I came on this trip I remember hearing about the food thinking it was super bizarre. I mean who wants rice for EVERY meal?  And who wants grilled pork or squid for breakfast?  But now, all I want every morning is some baay sae cherouk ( sweet pork with pickled vegetables and an egg all over rice- literally the best breakfast ever!).  Initially I was a little freaked out by the amount of wildlife on the floor in my bedroom or in the bathroom.  But now it's an odd day that I don't step on at least a thousand ants.  Just six weeks ago I was terrified and furious with the Phnom Penh ridiculousness that is traffic, but now we weave in between cars, motos, tuktuks, and random pedestrians like a seasoned pro.
     I'm really enjoying life in Cambodia now...it's still an adventure, but it's an adventure I'm very comfortable with.  I may not know the language very well, but I'm white (a 'barang') so nobody really expects me to anyways!  If anything they just yell 'Ooh, America" at me and are surprised when I can say anything back!  And I can say the few things I need to to get by!  I can Suasdei or Chumriepsua people all day long!  And if I really want to impress them I through in a Lea-sen-hi here and there. And most importantly I can ask people how much things cost in the market, and if I'm lucky I can understand their response!
     The other day I was doping in heavy traffic and rain (not what you think at all- it's where you sit side-saddle on the back of someone's bike while they pedal you somewhere) and I got the comment that I'm a real Cambodian now.  And you know, I kind of am! (in spirit if not race, culture, language, or anything else that technically matters!)

No comments:

Post a Comment