Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year....

...Well, actually as I've been told repeatedly, this was the worst time of year to come to Cambodia (of course we arrived in THE HOTTEST month!!!  Typical tourists!)  I've always complained about Virginia's heat and humidity, but it's even crazier here!  I just want a huge bag of freeze pops and a pool to swim in, however pools here are very expensive and hard to find and I don't think they have freeze pops here (but I don't know for sure yet).  I've literally sweated gallons while I've been here, which is probably a good thing because we have been eating so much!  The food here is SPECTACULAR!  Ohm, the most chiefest of all host moms, cooks us two fantastic meals a day!  They're always stirfries, soups, curries, and all the delightful really heavy foods in life!  But probably the best part is all the fruit here!  They have so many exotic fruits I've never seen before or heard of.  And it's definitely fruit season!  Yesterday I ate the most delicious mango I've ever had in my life, and I was told it wasn't a particularly good one!  So clearly, the best is yet to come!  We drank straight from coconuts, bought our own lychee, and carved out our dragonfruit, devoured jackfruit, and had so much mango I could just burst!

To make things even better this week we took a Khmer (pronounced Kh-my, not Kh-mer) cooking class!  We had the cutest instructor, San, who spoke great English and showed us the way around the market, which was a hot, sweaty adventure.  Then we cooked four delicious courses with the food we had bought.  We made spring rolls, fish Amok (a spicy curry cooked in banana leaf that is SO GOOD!), banana flower salad, and last and definitely best, mango and sweet sticky rice!  I could just eat mango and sticky rice all day, everyday!

Homemade spring rolls with taro and carrot!  Yum!

 
Banana Flower salad (yes, I actually managed to use the chopsticks this time...)

Mango and sweet, sticky rice

Literally the dorkiest looking chef you will ever see!




No comments:

Post a Comment